The National Hotel is Born

By Admin

Date: 31 May 2016

The site was first utilised in 1868 as a shop, the same year the 875 Ton convict ship The Hougoumont  arrived in Fremantle. The shop was run at the time by Abraham Moise Josephson who went on to become a successful pearl merchant.

Some time during the 1870’s the shop closed and made way for the National Bank of Australasia. In 1886, the bank relocated to Lot 30, High Street, Fremantle, opposite Sandover’s Store. The building was owned at the time by a successful merchant, businessman and politician John Joseph Highman (1856-1927). On 6th September 1886 William Conroy was granted a license to operate The National Hotel.